Wednesday 6 January 2010

Happy 2010

I actually managed to get a whole week of work, but it wasn't without it's price. Just as I finished at 4pm on the 23rd December and headed into the bedroom to finish the wrapping the mobile went off, a dogs home had a dog that wasn't coping with the kennels and could we take it before Christmas to prevent him from being put to sleep. A railroad was set up to move him to the closest available foster space and all was well until the second section of the railroad rang to say "this isn't a bulldog". I have no idea what he was, some kind of Labrador, beagle, boxer cross - but most definitely not a bulldog. The dogs home had since closed so we agreed to continue with the railroad and foster him as planned and sort it out after Christmas, which was fine until he started becoming aggressive. Needless to say the foster home could no longer help and by 8pm Christmas eve I was sat in an emergency vets helping to send him to the bridge. Poor wee man had no idea what was going on, the kennel was not an option as he we knew he wouldn't cope with that and sending him back would have had him put to sleep anyway so we figured we'd save him any more stress and just do it. He was a very very old boy and I did my very best to make his last moments as peaceful as possible but not a great way to start the festive season I can tell you.

I actually managed to spend the entire week reading a book (I never get time to read a book) but come new years eve and 12am the skies exploded with fireworks and all the dogs here (despite them all being very heavily dosed up on calming solution) all began to try and dig their way out of their kennels, in the house Maggie was doing her best to catch them and Hilda was joining in the game of lets chase the ...... what actually are we chasing??? Daisy, my beautiful black beauty was huddled in a corner looking absolutely terrified!

Come the morning Daisy was quiet and her breathing was very huffy, she's not a great breather and stress can set it off, she didn't want to eat so spent the day under the kitchen table keeping out of everyone's way. That night she was really sick but was refusing to move out of her corner, so I made her comfortable, sat with her until she fell asleep and went to bed about 1.30am.

I was almost too afraid to check on her come the morning but sadly she was really really sick by the next day. I think she'd gone blind so I rushed her to the vets where blood test revealed advanced kidney failure. I'd waited 10 years for her but putting her to sleep was the only option, she made my dreams come true after seeing a black bulldog in American when I went out for the Bulldog Nationals in 1998. She has now joined the others in the graveyard at the bottom of the garden, rest in peace my sweetheart - I sure do miss you.

News that the Beckhams have got a bulldog raised some eyebrows in the press. Good friend of the bulldog (not) journalist Jemima Harrison wrote a scathing article in the Times: (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1239792/Why-DID-Victoria-Beckham-buy-David-bulldog-Christmas.html) which is once again factually incorrect - but my personal worry is that the world and his wife will now go out and get a bulldog so they can be like Posh and Becks. Guess who'll be picking up that mess in 18 months time?? Please don't go and buy a bulldog just because they've got one, they won't keep it and should they ever come back to the UK the poor soul will be discarded like a used toy.

Anyway, hope 2010 brings you all everything you need and try not to get stuck in the snow, we've got about 15 inches of the stuff this morning!!

10 comments:

  1. Rest in peace Daisy. It was an honor to have met the little lady xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi bulldog male 6 year looking for new home at mayhew animals home 0208 9690178 rip daisy take care all from bea southend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bea, I have contacted Mayhew, just waiting for a response

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi bulldoglady hope u get the poor boy dump b for xmas shame on them keep up the good work wish i could do more bea essex xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. im so sorry to hear about daisy i know exactly how you feel as its only been 6 weeks since we lost our lenny but try to keep your chin up god bless you and god bless daisy may she rest in peace all our love the draper family xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I remember when David brought 2 rotties for Posh when they got engaged anybody know's what happened to them. I hate the fact that they've brought a bulldog. They should know that when David gets moved to another football team that the dog will have travel with them and too put a bulldog though all that stress is shameful. I would never put a bulldog on a plane and breeders recommend that you don't anyway.
    Typlical status symbols shame on the Beckhams....
    Bulldog owner and lover...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to say that the work Tania and her husband do is fantatic and to keep going even when they loose a member of the family is dedication to the max.
    I have two bulldogs and I love them both so much and to loose one would be heartbreaking. Tania and David I am so sorry for your lose and please keep the strenght to carry on what you do so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just read david beckhams has give away the pup he got for xmas to gordon ramsay to adopt y did a breeder sell the pup and were r they now lol money money talk they should look at this site and c the good work that done by tania and all in the rescue keep up the good work xx it make me so mad bea southend x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear for your loss, I couldn't imagine how I would feel if anything ever happened to our Loo Loo!!
    Tried to leave a comment on the article but they are no longer taking them - maybe they have realised they should really employ journalists who now how to research properly!!!
    Emma and Alan-Newmarket

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bit late but sorry for your loss RIP Daisy and the Beckhams make me sick with the blatant disregard to dog ownership, bulldogs are for life and for most of us ARE our life !!!!

    ReplyDelete