Thursday 23 September 2010

Friend or Foe ..... who on earth knows.

I was sent a photo yesterday morning of supposed starving, neglected puppies via facebook (you know the one where everyone is "friends") and despite the hatred that was being spat at the owner of the pups I decided to find out the facts before joining in what eventually became nothing more than a witch hunt. The short version is that in speaking to the owner it appeared that her version of events was ever so slightly different - but to be sure and in an effort to appease the witch hunters I made the five hour round trip to check on the pups. I found a litter of three small pups that resembled typical hand reared pups that had been very ill during the first 2 weeks of their lives. However, not happy with these findings I then became the victim of the witch hunt which not only became very hurtful and very personal has made me think if rescue is really what I want to do after all. Having been told I must be blind and that I must be stupid by people that have not seen the pups or spoken to the owner my take on the human being right now is darn near zero. Especially as throughout the drive up there I was having to deal with the heartbreak from an owner who's old dog had reached the end and having called me from the vets had to say goodbye to their beautiful old man. He'd come from rescue after suffering a terrible life of numerous homes and he had had a life of neglect which in the end proved too much for his old body to cope with.
To put the record straight once and for all, the litter was not starved, nor were they neglected. They were taken 5/6 days early because the bitch was fitting. There were water pups that didn't survive (not drown in their food as someone said this morning) and the bitch had feaces in the uterus, the pups were all born full of infection and were subsequently rejected by the mother. The vet gave them only a few hours to live but the owner battled through thick and thin to save them and she did by hand rearing them on her own despite suffering MS. I have been appalled by the behaviour and the language of people who've been in the breed five minutes and assume they know it all. These same people are the future of this breed - gawd help us!
So on that note I'd better do some of the studying I should have been doing last night before I leave for my course tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. For the good Facebook can sometimes do, this is an example of the very bad and kneejerk behaviour that does happen. Be careful folks when posting photos, something so innocent can be construed entirely differently. Tania, I salute you for what you do and the breed and indeed the whole of the country would a much sadder and poorer place without your rescue. I wish you all the very best for your course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For heavens sake Tania please do not give up rescue please try to think of the bullies that are out there needing your help. I know it is a selfish ask after all you have to put up with but please try to forget the ,mealy mouthed few, and remember the many dogs who will and still need you. What will they do if you give up you are the backbone of the rescue. Where will we find another Tania?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facebook can be such a lot of trouble at times, which is why i periodically sign out.. i deleted 15 contacts recently beacuse i was sick of reading other folks rubbish. The point is, people love Drama dont they? Ignore them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That woman sounds like a good woman personally i don't use facebook i got fed up of making rubbish about me and gossiping! which is pretty much what facebook is a invasion of privacy! What you do is amazing I love seeing the bullys I am new to the breed and have a old man called Stan but i love the bones of him! I rescued him from a old lady who had arthritus and couldn't walk him he was very overweight but if for any reason anything happened to me its you I would want Stan to got too. I know there is some awful people out there but theres few good ones too and if we give up then theres no hope for the lovely breed!

    ReplyDelete